It was during Mr. Dill’s ministry in 1846 that Mrs. Magee, a widow lady of Usher’s Quay congregation, died, leaving £60,000 for Presbyterian purposes, of which £20,000 was bequeathed for Magee College, Derry. Mrs. Magee also left a bequest to the congregation of Usher’s Quay.
Having decided the area around Ushers Quay was no longer suitable, the congregation moved north to Ormond Quay in 1848 using some of the money left to them by Mrs Magee to build the church. It is likely that the Usher’s Quay building was demolished in about 1889 when the street was widened and renamed St. Augustine Street. The Ormond Quay church was built in granite in the gothic style, stood mid-terrace, balanced by two tall elegant towers, one at each extreme of the façade.
Like many inner city churches, Ormond Quay suffered loss of members as they moved out to the suburbs. In 1938 a union between Ormond Quay and Scots Church, Abbey Street was agreed.